We’ve been following the smartphone industry for years, and there’s no question that it’s a fast-moving one. We’re always on the lookout for the latest and greatest new phones that are worthy of your hard-earned money, so we’ve compiled our top five picks for 2022!
There are many factors to consider when buying a new smartphone: screen resolution, battery life, processing power, and more. We’ve narrowed down our top picks based on these factors as well as others like price and durability—and we think you’ll find this list helpful if you’re looking for a new phone in 2022.
Our Top 5 Picks
- Best iOS smartphone: iPhone 14 Pro
- Best Android smartphone: Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
- Best Camera smartphone: Pixel 6 Pro
- Best Midrange Android smartphone: Google Pixel 6a
- Best Foldable smartphone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4
1. Best iOS smartphone: iPhone 14 Pro
Are you looking for a new smartphone to buy in 2022? If so, then you should definitely consider the iPhone 14 Pro. This is Apple’s flagship device for 2022 and it comes with some amazing features. One of those features is the pill-shaped cut-out at the front of the phone. This allows for a much larger display than previous iPhones and it looks simply awesome.
The new display can reach brightness levels of up to 2000 nits, making it perfect for use in all conditions. It also features Emergency SOS via Satellite, which could be extremely useful if you’re ever stranded in an area with no reception.
- Comes with a flagship A-16 chipset
- The display is extremely bright
- Comes with satellite connectivity for emergency situations
- Has a new upgraded 48MP primary camera
- Improved battery life compared to previous gen iPhones
2. Best Android smartphone: Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
The Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra is the company’s latest flagship smartphone, and it comes with a host of impressive features. Perhaps most notably, the device boasts 10x optical zoom – making it ideal for capturing far-away subjects without compromising on image quality.
The camera setup also includes a massive 6.8-inch 120Hz OLED display, which should make for an immersive viewing experience. Other notable features include IP68 dust and water resistance, as well as Corning’s latest Gorilla Glass Victus+ protection for both the front and back of the phone. The device also comes with an S-Pen stylus – making it one of only a few phones on the market that can boast this feature (the others being Samsung’s own Galaxy Note range).
Perhaps most impressively of all, though, is Samsung’s commitment to delivering up to 4 years of Android updates for the Galaxy S22 Ultra. This means that users will be able to enjoy all the latest features and security enhancements long after they’ve purchased their handset.
- Comes with a flagship Qualcomm Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 chipset
- The display is OLED
- Has an IP68 water and dust resistance
- The S-Pen latency has been reduced to just 2.8ms
- Guaranteed 4 years of Android updates
3. Best Camera smartphone: Pixel 6 Pro
Google’s latest flagship offering, the Pixel 6 Pro is a complete powerhouse as far as cameras are concerned. It boasts a triple rear camera system with a 50MP wide lens, 48MP telephoto lens and 12MP ultra-wide lens.
The low light shots seem impressive and the software is heavily optimized to deliver clear and vivid photos! The Pixel is so powerful in the camera segment, that it can even beat the current gen iPhone 14’s!
And of course not to mention Google’s post processing software after taking an image which just demolishes any competition. However, the device comes with a few software bugs but they would be solved with upcoming software updates.
- Triple rear setup 50MP + 48MP + 12MP
- Comes with the latest Google Tensor 5nm chipset
- Features Corning latest Gorilla Glass Victus
- Boasts Android 12 out of the box
- Can support up to 23W of wireless charging
4. Best Midrange Android smartphone: Google Pixel 6a
The Google Pixel 6a is one of the most affordable and easy to use smartphones on the market. It has a simple design, making it easy to hold and use. The phone starts at just $449, making it an excellent choice for those looking for a budget-friendly option.
The Pixel 6a packs a 6.1-inch OLED display, which is bright and clear. Additionally, the phone has Google’s excellent image processing engine, allowing it to take photos that can even compete with the current gen iPhone 14’s camera quality.
Another great feature of the Pixel 6a is its Night Sight mode, which allows you to take clear pictures even in low light conditions. Finally, the phone has IP67 dust and water resistance rating, meaning it can withstand being submerged in up to 1 meter of water for 30 minutes without sustaining any damage.
- Comes with an OLED display
- Extremely handy at 6.1-inches
- Flagship level camera performance
- IP67 dust and water resistance
- Google promises to deliver major software updates for the next 5 years
5. Best Foldable smartphone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4
The new Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 is a foldable smartphone that can solve your big screen needs. This device is in a class of its own, with a sleeker hinge that is easier to use one handed (compared to previous gen models). The inside display is 7.6 inch and can brighten up to 1000 nits – making it perfect for watching movies or browsing the web.
It also comes with a 3x zoom lens along with a 50MP main sensor, giving you great photos and videos no matter where you are. However, the device is still a bit bulky and quite premium at a price tag of $1,800. But still, if you need an unbeatable multitasking phone, the Galaxy Z Fold 4 should be at the top of your list.
- Features a large 7.6-inch main display
- Comes with the latest Qualcomm Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 SoC
- The cameras are excellent (3x zoom and 50MP primary lens)
- Quite easy to use single handed
- IP68 water and dust resistant
The Bottom Line
If you’re looking for a new smartphone, we recommend these top 5 picks.
We hope that this list has helped you find the best smartphone for your needs. If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to leave them in the comment section below.