If you’re looking for the perfect sublimation printer to use and are a beginner at sublimation, then you’ve come to the right place. We have done the hard work for you and gone through the full range of options and come up with our top 5 choices below. Sublimation printers are getting more attention these days because of their impressive ability to print high quality designs on to material or fabric using ink and heat. The end result is smooth and durable print results that look top quality and akin to a professional manufacturer.
Infact the end result of these prints are so good from sublimation printers, that many don’t realize that they’ve been printed from something you can purchase at home. And so what started off really as a hobby for many, has now turned to a full business for those looking at printing designs on tshirts, and other materials. It is worth noting that sublimation printing is only suitable for garments that include polyester (100% polyester or polyester blend) and although in theory it is possible on other materials such as cotton, the image will not be permanent and it isn’t recommended.
See below our top 5 list of the best sublimation printer for beginners that we’ve picked from looking at a vast range of options. Our pick of the group for beginners just starting out is the Canon SELPHY CP1300 Wireless Photo Printer which is also the best Budget option on the list. We have also included an excellent list of printers below that didn’t make our list but are also suitable for what you’re looking for.
Top 5 Best Sublimation Printers For Beginners
- Our Choice and Best Budget Option – Canon SELPHY CP1300 Wireless Photo Printer
- Best Compact Design – Liene Photo Printer
- Best Premium Option – Fargo DTC1250e Printer
- Best Lightweight Option – Canon SELPHY Photo Printer
- Best Value Option – SAWGRASS SG500 Sublimation Printer
- Also excellent options from Epson – Epson ET-2800 SUBLIMATION Wireless Color Printer (Sublimation Ink, Sublimation Printer Bundle with Sublipaper) and Epson F170 SureColor Dye Sublimation Printer
1. Canon SELPHY CP1300 Wireless Photo Printer (Our Choice and Best Budget Option)
Verdict: Our first choice from the collection is a super-smart, compact, and high-quality wireless sublimation printer from Canon that shares its unique features to let you catch and extract precious life moments in your hands. This is our top pick from the list and also the best budget option too. An excellent choice!
- Dye Sublimation Technology: Its smart dye sublimation printing technology lets you create bright, sharp, and long-lasting photos with a resolution up to 300 x 300 dpi.
- Party Shuffle: Get your images from multiple devices combined in beautiful formats with its party shuffle technology.
- Wireless connectivity: You can print anywhere, anytime with its advanced built-in wireless (802. 11b/g) connection from compatible electronic devices like laptops, cameras, etc.
- Quick and portable: Its compact size and lightweight features make it an extremely portable printer despite offering quick printing within less than a minute.
- Exceptional battery capacity to print 54 photos within once
- Compact, reliable, and cheapest printer
- Prints within 39-47 seconds
- Wireless connection
- Not as attractive as the other options, but if you want a workhorse that gets the job done with minimal fuss, then this is it
- Don’t support repetitive printing
2. Liene Photo Printer (Our Choice)
Verdict: The runner up in the list is from Liene, which we really couldn’t split with the top choice, but thought it was aesthetically a nicer looking sublimation printer that comes equipped with incredible features to give out wonderful 4×6 photos within a short time.
- Thermal dye-sublimation: It is a superb technology that lets the dyes penetrate deeply into the paper and makes durable photos.
- Wi-Fi hotspot: No more worries about having a network connection as its built-in Wi-Fi connectivity allows you to connect up to five devices simultaneously.
- Creative designs and frames: You can enhance the beauty of your 4×6 photos by adding multiple filters, effects, and photo frames through Liene App.
- User-friendly printer: Get all your photos (regular, formal, or ID) prints done within minutes by the grace of its user-friendly options.
- Compact design
- Supports up to five connections
- Better photo quality and print speed
- Don’t support SD Card
- Only prints 4×6 sized photos
3. Fargo DTC1250e Printer (Best Premium Option)
Verdict: Our best premium option is the Fargo DTC1250e which is the best sublimation printer for beginners at the premium end. The ease of use is a particular feature and whilst the price might be a bit higher than the others, its worth remembering that you are getting a complete supplies package and software along with the printer in this package. Worth it for everything you’re getting for your sublimation needs.
- Bronze Edition Software: Nothing can make you stressed when you have Fargo’s Bronze edition software that has basic features to make it easy to go with your professional photo prints.
- Multiple PVC Cards: The printer comes with a bunch of high-quality white Bodno PVC Cards that are much easier to work with its color ribbon and a camera.
- USB Connectivity: Its USB Connectivity provides access to print anywhere without hunting for a stable network.
- Great warranty: Ensuring its high-quality, manufacturers have provided a long-lasting 3-year warranty.
- User-friendly features
- 3-year limited warranty
- Produces photo print within 6-16 seconds
- USB Connectivity
- Compact ID Camera
- Don’t offer double-sided card prints
- Slightly heavy
4. Canon SELPHY Photo Printer (Best Lightweight Option)
Verdict: Another excellent printer from Canon, this is another model that best suits sublimation for beginners due to its easy-to-use features, and high-quality results. An excellent choice with easy to follow instructions from this market leader in printers.
- Sleek and portable: Place it anywhere or take it everywhere as both its size and weight are ideal that completely resolve the portability issues.
- DYE-SUB Technology: It allows you to do instant print with a lifetime guarantee of not getting scratched or fade.
- Wide range of connectivity: It offers both wireless and USB connectivity with SD Card compatibility to let beginners print photos professionally with ease.
- Best color photos: You can print 4×6 photos up to 108 in a design that instantly dries and lasts forever.
- AirPrint and Mopria Device printing
- Included KP 108 color ink Paper set
- USB and SD card compatible
- Equips with 12-inches hard case
- Consume more time to print compared with other printers
- Better choices for printers if looking for multiple prints at once
5. SAWGRASS SG500 Sublimation Printer (Best Value Option)
Verdict: If you want a printer having a fantastic combo of UHD ink and creative software, SAWGRASS SG500 should be prioritized every time. This is probably the best value sublimation printer for what you get with it, being high-resolution prints, an excellent warranty and the brilliant creative studio software that comes with it. It is a little pricey, but again you pay for what you get. An excellent choice for beginners who don’t mind spending on quality.
- High-Resolution Prints: You can extract your memories in HD quality with its energy-efficient dye sublimation printing technology.
- Sublijet-HD inks: The printer carries a set of HD Inks to produce professional prints with its 220 sheets of exclusive brand sublimation paper.
- Great warranty: Cooperative support team and 2-year warranty one can get from its purchase.
- Creative Studio Software: You can creatively design your photos with its user-friendly online software and a stock library.
- Set of UHD-inks and sheets
- 2-year long-time warranty
- Free library and software for designing
- Lacks USB connectivity
You can’t go wrong with any of our choices of sublimation printers above, but we still think for the value you get the best choices are the Canon Selphy CP1300 Wireless Sublimation Printer or the Liene Photo Printer. Your choice is also likely to be determined by the aesthetic qualities of the printer itself and also your budget, but rest assured that the quality of all these printers are excellent and come from the leaders in the print industry in Canon, Liene, Fargo and Sawgrass.